Sunday, January 26, 2014

Photographs I wish I had taken and other realizations

Photographed by Henri Cartier-Bresson

I have been experimenting a lot with portraits as well as studying some photographers that have caught my eye. I was lucky enough to be able to attend a gallery showing of Diane Arbus' photography in San Francisco, and a lot of her portraits and scenes were so captivating and stuck with me. As a Californian, Ansel Adams also has a special place in my heart. Moon Over Half Dome is probably one of my all-time favorite photos.

I have also taken a liking to Henri Cartier-Bresson, also known as the father of street photography. His pictures tell great stories and his philosophies on the "deciding moment" and using geometry to make photos interesting to look at is something I'm trying to practice.


It's such a strange revelation but I really am going to miss the hell out of this town when I'm gone. It's a new feeling to me because I've always been on the tips of my toes ready to get out of here at the first opportunity, but suddenly as the end of high school approaches, I'm reaching back, trying to grab onto the railings. 

I don't think I've ever heard someone say "I love this town" until recently, and his opinion just gave me this whole weird mind-blown feeling. That someone could love this town, want to stay in it forever. And I thought about it and thought about it for so long. 

I thought about it watching the pink and fire sunset that you can't get anywhere else, the seventy-four deserted parks with bored teens and halfhearted graffiti, the smell of cow that permeates the air at the same time every day, and the people I've met who I can't forget.

I don't love this town. I don't think I ever will. I wasn't born here, I'd never die here. But I'm glad, I know now, to have grown up in this dinky little farm-town-turned-suburb, with its strange and wacky people. I'll miss it when I'm older. I already miss it now, thinking about making new friends and new special places, finding a new favorite milkshake stand to invade when there's nothing else to do (which is pretty much every single second.)

I'm drowning in growing up, lost in that slow space you fade into as I jump off the cliff like a bird learning to fly. I don't know what to think anymore, or where to go. I'm just glad to have been here.


2 comments:

  1. I wish I'd taken these too!
    x Yazmine
    www.whateveryazmine.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, i love your blog so much. Everything you write makes me feel so nostalgic (in the best way possible). It's my last year of school too, but i don't know if i'm already feeling like i'll miss my town. To be honest, i don't think i ever will. But i already miss my friends.

    ReplyDelete