Thursday, January 16, 2014

Looking for Alaska

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to go to Alaska. It's weird because I'm a warm weather person-- I love the beach, sunny weather, summer, the works. But Alaska sounds like such a beautiful place. For some reason, whenever I mention it, no one agrees. Doesn't anybody have any love for Alaska?!

(Source: Boyte Creative)
(Source: Imgur)

(Source: Une Collecte)
Tell me it doesn't look incredible. If you need any more convincing, just look at the Alaska tag on flickr. I just want to see it once (or twice...or seven times) in my life, and I'll be satisfied. And think of all the cute snow outfits!

Haim, the band, in Los Angeles (Source: Flickr)
(Source: Tumblr)

"Their love started in a photo lab." (Source: Tumblr, as photographed by Phil Chester)
Promo shot for Tropico (Source: Chuck Grant)
Someone who has been inspiring me a lot lately is Chuck Grant, aka Lana Del Rey's younger sister. I find her photography interesting and the whole Grant family dynamic so mysterious and intriguing. I have been buying and shooting with disposables lately and something she said about shooting for her sister's short film struck a chord with me.
"I decided to shoot some of Tropico’s promo with a disposable camera. I find that looking at disposable photographs provides for a kind of assumed intimacy between subject and viewer; wanted the grainy neighborhood photographs to feel oddly nostalgic and relatable."
I have been so preoccupied with the feeling of nostalgia; I feel like I am drowning in it. I am so glad that I am able to look at things I wrote and pictures I took all the way back from two years ago and see how far I've come-- the things that have changed, how people have affected me. Things that once seemed like the end of the world at the moment are distant memories now. Life moves fast, but it's like watching airplanes. When you see them in the sky they are speeding past, but when you're sitting inside one it feels like time isn't even going by.


1 comment: